About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Grace Randolph raves about X-Men: Apocalypse

I'm hanging out to see X-Men: Apocalypse in the next couple of days. The reviews seem to be very mixed so far - some people love the movie, while quite a few critics are knocking it. I'll soon find out for myself, but this infectious (and pretty much spoiler-free) review by Grace Randolph has me revved up. As you'll see if you click on the link, Randolph raves about X-Men Apocalypse, thinking it's the best X-Men movie yet and the best of the comic-book blockbusters so far this year - almost perfect, she thinks, for what it is. I like it when she says that there are many moments that fans will love, but that are all properly earned.


We'll see. I'm getting the impression that some critics are giving X-Men: Apocalypse unfair flak: that they wanted it to be a different sort of movie (maybe something more like Captain America: Civil War, which was certainly impressive in its way), and were not prepared to enjoy it on its own terms. But maybe I'll agree with them when I see it. Stay tuned...

No comments: