About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Monday, April 05, 2010

Full text of gene patents judgment

Here is the published opinion of Justice Sweet, thanks to JJE in the comments yesterday. It's 156 pages, so I'm not sure when I'll have time to read the whole thing. I'll try to get to it in the next few days. Meanwhile, it's a resource for those who are researching the issue of gene patents or just interested in it.

2 comments:

J.J. Emerson said...

I skimmed quite a few sections (very very piecemeal). It is actually quite easy to read given that it is a law opinion, but damn, is it ever long. I may have read a total 20 or so pages. If I had an iPad, I might just read the whole thing. Seems a shame to actually print it out though...

I can't take credit for the link to the paper, of course. I got it from this post on the Genomics Law Report. Those guys do a pretty hefty amount of work.

There is also a pretty interesting discussion in the comments of Genetic Future.

Gregory C. Mayer said...

Russell-- Here's a Science news article from today's issue on the ruling: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/328/5975/153.pdf