About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Social networking sites

Does anyone think these are worthwhile?

Not long ago, somebody on one of the many list-serves that I'm on persuaded me that I should create a Facebook account for networking, blah, blah. More recently, I said to hell with it and also created a MySpace account. It's all free, after all. At the moment, though, having had a look around on these sites, I can't actually see a lot that I'd want to do with them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I can't speak for myspace, but my facebook account has been quite useful. At the very least it has gotten me in contact with some old friends, one of which has offered me a job in the magazine he works for.

Russell Blackford said...

Wow! Now that is the sort of thing that is supposed to happen.

Anonymous said...

I have a myspace account. I think I've drunkenly posted the link on the RD site more than once. I use it to help destroy minds with my poorly crafted tunes and nonsensical lyrics.

www.myspace.com/wearethecrap.

Free plug! :)

Anonymous said...

I think they're absolutely worthless. I believe in actually connecting with a person IN person, and not some 'supposed' person whose account could be BS to begin with.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Terror uses Facebook to prevent the 5MB photo emails clogging up our system. This way she and the rest of the family can trade baby photos a lot easier, and exchange messages - cross between a blog and email, I guess.

Russell Blackford said...

I now have two friends at Facebook. Both of them have zillions of friends, I see. It looks as if Josh Timonen has decided to try to use it in a big way for networking.